Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Chicken Heads and Feet

Across the street from our home is a school. This week we were woken up early one morning to loud music and screaming! Also an announcer. We were wondering what was going on and quickly discovered that a big futbol match was happening! Our area Pamba was playing another area that I can not name or even say.
I found out that my friend, Rose, was cooking and serving food for the players and teachers. I went over to greet her and was quickly asked to come into the kitchen and help!! I was so excited! As a white person, I am not always invited or allowed into the kitchen.  Amy and I quickly started right in. Amy started filling plates with potatoes and I served plates out of the window to all the little hungry faces.
After a while the menu changed and they started serving chicken. I was thoroughly shocked an disgusted when they started serving the chicken feet and then even more disgusted when I saw a chicken head on the plate!! EWWW!! Gross!  I was told this is very normal at a big event!! I laughingly told my friend that I would never eat at her home again!! We laughed and she told me she would never serve me chicken head and feet!! I guess I can still be her friend! I obviously was teasing her, but I love that we can joke around together about our cultural differences!!