Friday, August 24, 2012

Bible Study in Pamba


We live in the community of Pamba.  Last week was the first of 15 sessions getting together with our neighbor church members and Ugandan friends having a Sunday afternoon Bible Study.  I had a discussion with Pastor Francis Osire, who pastors the church, and we both agreed that Sunday afternoons would bring the greatest attendance.  Also it would emphasize Sunday as a day of rest and worship in the Lord.  Not just morning worship, but committing all day.  I am facilitating questions I feel would bring the most discussion to the group.  Everything has to be translated from English to Ateso language.  In the photo below, Pastor Francis is doing just that.  It's great that we are doing this together.  Its important to our Teams philosophy that we walk along side the local churches in our communities.   Its not my purpose to become as a well known white person here in Pamba.  The purpose is to walk alongside the local churches and see transformation in these communities.  We are going through the book, "Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ", by John Piper.  Friends from our sending church, First Christian Reformed Church of Byron Center, were able to pick up many copies for me to have sent for ministry purpose.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with all the books until God revealed to me that I should lead a church Bible Study.  So we meet in our back yard under the only shade tree that our immature yard has, a jack fruit tree.  This past week I started with questions,  "What does the word to savor mean to you?",  after discussion I asked, "What comes to mind when you think of Jesus Christ?".  Many answers came.  I was waiting for a particular answer which came after many good answers.  Friend was one I was searching for.  "What is a friend mean to you?", "Have you ever thought Jesus as your Friend?".  The hymn, What a Friend We Have In Jesus came to my mind talking to them.  The purpose of this book is not only to see who Jesus Christ is but also to savor Jesus Christ.  After an hour plus and running out of time, I had to stop discussion and end the class.  Anticipation of next week became evident because of all the hands that were still up in the air.  I am excited to share that our first session came with almost 30 participants.  God is good.  I ask for your continued prayers that God will touch the hearts of those who attend and that they may be encouraged to go and make disciples of all nations. I pray that they not only learn more of and see who Jesus Christ is through this study, but also to savor the relationship of our Friend Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
  












One of those attending brought me a gift.  Later I opened it a found a Ugandan style fruit/vegetable basket.  Basket consisted of : bananas, onions, passion fruit, carrots, avocado.  A very thoughtful and generous gift.
While Steve was leading the Bible Study, I was outside the gate greeting all the late arrivals. I soon had a gathering of neighborhood kids, so I decided to read a Bible Story for them too! It was so great, they love to just be near and listen to anything read to them. What better to read to them than stories of Jesus! 
We ended our time with prayer!

No comments: