Saturday, June 5, 2010

Getting to Soroti, Uganda

So since I can't get pictures up here or on Facebook I will try and write what we experience without pictures.
We dropped our kids off at Steve and Linda Snyders on Monday night. The kids were so excited and the Snyders made it so easy for us. Troy was very sick, he had a fever of 104 for two days before we left and he kept it until Friday morning. It was so sad to have him sick, but these are some of the things I wrote in my journal.

The last two days I've had opportunity to sit and hold him and love him. On Sunday he was sitting on my lap and we were looking at eachother and smiling. (He was very sick) He said, "You know what my favorite part about being sick is?" I said, "What honey?" He said, "I get to spend time with you." It was so precious! He hugged me and I love that kid.
As I thought about this and why this was happening, I was thinking. This is how we need to be with Jesus. We are sick and sinful people, but the best part of that is sitting in Jesus arms and letting him care for us and love us.


We kind of dropped the kids stuff off through out the day and then we went for dinner with the Snyders at the fundraiser for the Youth Group. I could tell already then that the kids were going to be fine. Ashley sat between her two new big brothers, Aaron and Jordan. They were just so excited. Troy stayed home with Steve and when we returned, we said our goodbyes and it went well. Ashley came and gave me a big hug and after she did Troy started to realize that we were leaving and he came from the floor and gave me a tight hug. He nestled his head in my neck and he let me know he would be OK. I gave Drew some tickle torture, which he loves. It was just great.
I know people were praying for us, because I had a peace that I don't understand. God had made me completely calm. I had no anxiety and I was so thankful. Our God is so huge and he had given me a peace that passes all understanding.

The next day we headed to Chicago to my cousins so she could drop us at the airport. We arrived at the O'Hare Airport at 12:30 and quickly relized that our flight had been delayed and we were going to miss our flight in Detroit so we got on standby for a flight that left at 2:00. We got on that flight and we made our flight from Detroit to Amsterdam. When we got on this flight we were told that the flight was delayed and that we would be having a longer flight due to the ash. We were two hours late for our flight to Entebbe. They then put us on a flight to Londan to Niarobi and then to Entebbe. We flew two nights straight and the time change was in there too. We arrived in Entebbe at 9am on Thursday morning. Through all of this God still gave me a peace that I didn't understand.
When we arrived in Entebbe, we arrived without 4 pieces of luggage. Thankfully, the piece that we needed did arrive. When we arrived in Entebbe, the Sliedrechts were waiting for us. We were extremely tired. We started driving in Kampala and it was really overwhelming. So many people and traffic is the craziest thing. Roads are full of cars, bikes, cows, motorcycles and people.
As we drove out of Kampala you could see things slowly change over the next 6 hours. There were less cars, but still people everywhere and animals everywhere. Little kids were just walking around on the sides of these busy roads. People were sitting around all over. I realize now that they are just sitting where it is cool. They don't sit in their houses, they sit under shade trees.
The land changed too. It was beautiful. We passed through a rain forest. We stopped in the town of Jin Jah. Here we ate at a little restarant named Ozzie's. I had a chicken and avocado Chapati. and a fresh fruit smoothie. It was all very good.
We then finished our drive to Soroti and the land changed again to less lush and more flat, but still beautiful in its own way. Again, here there were even less cars, but still lots of people.
When we arrived at Tim and Angies, the team mates had supper waiting for us. We recieved a warm welcome.
This is how our week began and through it all I had a peace that I could not explain! I just knew that people were praying for me and I was going to accept it.

1 comment:

Franklincovey said...

Thanks for this update!
www.franklincovey.com.au/