Friday, June 1, 2012

Church

We have been attending a church that is right across the road from our home. We have gotten to know quite a few people and it is getting so much easier for the kids to go. They are now starting to even clap and dance in church, which is how they worship here. I think it helps that Kate loves music and they love to help her clap.
For the last several months I have had a young boy named Oscar that always wants to sit by me. He started by just playing with my watch and then he started getting more comfortable and started to sit by me. He pulls the hair on my arms and points out my moles. He comes to church with his siblings. He has a younger sibling that falls asleep in church and Oscar puts the baby in my arms. He obviously cares for his siblings.
The other church members have asked us if these children have come with us. We tell them no and that we don't know where they come from, but they seem like they need love. This past week people asked again so I asked the children's director, Moses,  to find information about this family. He went right then and visited them. He found out that there are 4 or 5 children and there is also a baby. The mother has left and the father is caring for them. I am praying that we can encourage this father to go to church.  His children are always there and it will be good for him to be there with them.  Our mission here is to walk alongside the local church and this is one way we can do this. I pray that the church family can surround this family with love. I am glad to be a part of a church that cares for their neighbors.
A couple of weeks ago, Steve went with Pastor Francis to visit a man that had been visiting a witch doctor. They actually went with a whole car load of people. They witnessed to this man and encouraged him. They went all day and ate two pieces of bread and some tea. Once again, this church family surrounded and encouraged this man that has been so deceived. It is great to be a part of it and to help in any way we can.
It is great to finally be feeling at home here in church. Some weeks are still really hard, but every week gets better somehow!
Please keep praying that we can be a light to the people around us and spread the truth of God's word!

No comments: